Monday, September 29, 2008

Max Barry

Max Barry

In partnership with Andrews Bookshop we are proud to be hosting an author event with Max Barry.

Max Barry is an Australian who pretended to sell high-end computer systems for Hewlett-Packard while secretly writing his first novel. Max's novels have enjoyed success in the US and all three Syrup, Jennifer Government and Company are in film development.

Max lives in Melbourne, writes full time and enforces a strict dress policy, requires his desk to be tidy at all times and asks that he limit his personal calls to less than 2 minutes. (courtesy of Scribe publishing)

Max will be visiting Ivanhoe Library on Thursday 8 May @ 6.30pm - 8.00pm

Be entertained with an engaging and funny talk about Max's latest book Syrup.

'Scat is young, confused, underemployed and in Los Angeles. So when he comes up with the idea for the hottest new cola called Fukk, he's sure he'll retire as the next overnight sensation. But in the treacherous waters of corporate America there is no sure thing..' (courtesy of Scribe publishing)

Check this space after the event for a podcast of Max's talk.

For more information about Max you can try these links

http://www.maxbarry.com/

http://www.scribepublications.com.au/author/maxbarry

Max's answers to the Yarra Plenty 5 quick questions

1. Can you tell us why you became an author?

For the chicks. Man, on book tour, those girls go crazy, screaming and throwing themselves at the stage. No, wait, I'm thinking of rock stars. Nobody turns up to see authors.

I can't remember ever not wanting to be an author. I've always loved writing stories and still can't really believe I get to do this all day without anyone saying, "Hey. Stop that. Go and find a real job, you bum."

2. What is your all time favourite book? How would you describe it to other readers?

I don't have a single all-time favourite. Some stories you can't compare, because their brilliance doesn't overlap. I love THE BEACH by Alex Garland and anything by Neal Stephenson or Chuck Palahniuk. THE WORLD ACCORDING TO GARP (John Irving) blew my socks off when I was 17 and is probably responsible for me making the jump to writing novels.

3.Where or from who have you been inspired or given ideas?

Ideas come from all kinds of strange places. A girl who sneezes on the tram. A nurse who seems to enjoy giving you a needle. But my favorite ideas come from the characters themselves: when I enter a scene with no idea of what's going to happen and things happen anyway.

4. What is something fun from your childhood that you can remember about yourself?

In Grade 2 I won an award for a short story ending, which was (I can recall word for word): "Let's leave them now and let them dream." It was a shock because I'd plagiarized it directly from some other book. Apparently you weren't supposed to do that. I kept my mouth shut at assembly and accepted my award. It was a relatively painless lesson that people expect you to make up your own stories.

5. What advice would you give to new writers?

Be original. Everybody can write a sentence. The only reason anybody will want to read yours is if they're different.

Plus the old cliche: write a lot, and write what you love. You can't go wrong with that.

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online